Good Question. I don’t know. I do not like cabbage, or pigs in a blanket. But, my family loves it, and my mom requested it. It was a hit with them, my father said that it was something I should make once a month. Thumbs up to me for that. Thanks to Taste of Home the recipe is easy to follow, and easy to cook.
The prep/total time said 30 minutes. It took me about 45 total with cutting the cabbage, we used a head and a half.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, squash and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cabbage, juice, water, soup mix and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cabbage is tender,stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 4 servings.