Last night I was way too tired to post about these delicious nuggets. It got 5 stars from all parties involved. After the last few posts, i’ve realized that maybe i should be posting the whole recipe at the bottom of the posts. Although it’s not a PDF, since I’m still learning how to do that, but its still easier to read. I got the recipe from: i heart nap time
The recipe calls to preheat the oven to 425˙F which i waited a bit to do, since i didn’t want the stove on, the oven on, and be cooking three things at once. ( I was also making Turkey Soup, that will be the next post.) First of all the Ingredients,
1 1/2 cup of warm water
1 package of active yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp of sugar
4 cups of flour
3/4 cup of baking soda
1 egg, whisked
In a large pot combine 3 quarts of water, and the baking soda. Bring to a boil.
In a small bowl, add warm water and yeast. Sit for 5 minutes. Add your salt and sugar. Mix.
In a larger bowl pour the flour and yeast mixture into the bowl. I didn’t use a mixer. I also ended up using a lot more flour so the mix would stop sticking. And more water in the beginning to even get the mix to blend. (Maybe I should have used the mixer.)
At this point grab a baking sheet. ( Or 3 in my case!) Line with parchment paper and set aside.
Take small portions of the mix and roll out onto a floured surface. Cut or separate into little squares of balls. Mine were just little pieces.
Place them into the boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Use a spoon with holes to scoop out. Placing them onto the parchment paper. After you baking sheet is full, leaving a bit of space in-between, brush with the whisked egg.
Sprinkle some of the salt onto.
Pop them into the oven for 9-12 minutes. Keep a watch for the last few minutes. The smaller they are the easier they are to cook.
You can also brush them with butter at the end for some extra flavor.
*** I did notice that if you place them into a bag or container, they are moist and a little sticky, but still delicious***
Homemade Pretzel Nuggets:
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 packet active yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 11/2 tsp salt
- 1 TB sugar
- 4 cups of flour
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg (whisked)
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl add warm water and yeast. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes. Add salt and sugar and stir.
- In a large bowl add flour and then pour yeast mixture over top. Knead with bread hook in your mixer or by hand for approximately 5 minutes.
- Separate dough into 6-8 sections. Roll dough into ropes about 15-20 inches long and 1 inch thick. Cut with scissors into 11/2 – 2 inch pieces. Then cut a “t” or “x” on the top of the pretzel with scissors.
- In a large pan bring 3 quarts of water + 3/4 cup baking soda to a boil. Once water is boiling place about 8 pieces of dough into the water for about 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and place pretzel bites onto baking sheet. Brush dough lightly with egg and sprinkle salt on top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. You can turn the oven to broil for the last minute to brown the tops. Remove pretzel bites to a cooling rack and brush tops with melted butter.